Friday, July 24, 2009

Penile Implant: one week after surgery


It’s the morning of the ninth day since I had the prosthesis installed in my penis. As you can see in this photo taken one week after surgery, I experienced some bruising in my lower abdomen (now turning yellow), but no big deal. The circular area on my right (left on the photo) I assume is where Dr. Kramer placed the liquid reservoir. What the photo doesn't depict too well is the general swelling in the area.

I was told that I might want to wear jockey-style undershorts for support. One problem here. They do provide support for the testicles (remember there’s a pump now in there with them) and they do generally keep everything from flopping around (read: painful). My penis, however, is stiffer than before, which I expected. So consequently it sticks out straighter. I’m thinking the days of playing turtle are long gone—which is fine with me. But this means the undershorts tend to bend my appendage back toward me or to either side. That’s extremely uncomfortable, but at least it keeps the tip of my penis from rubbing against the inside of my trousers.

Consequently, I’ve been wearing lounging pants around the house and going commando. I wear underwear only when going out, and usually by the time we get back home, I can’t wait to get them off.


My incision is on the underside of the penis, not on the lower abdomen just above the base of the penis where I thought it would be. Apparently Dr. Kramer opted for the more traditional means of installing the prosthesis instead of the newer infrapubic procedure. Possibly this is because I have a mesh screen in my lower abdomen for the repair of an inguinal hernia. I'll ask when I see him next Thursday for my follow-up visit. Nonetheless, my incision seems to be healing well as evidenced in this photo also taken one week after surgery.

One concern I have is a loss of feeling on the surface of my skin that extends above and below the incision, so that the underside of my penis feels numb and so does the front center portion of my scrotum. I have no other loss of feeling anywhere else though. In fact the top and sides of my penis seem a bit more sensitive to touch than before.

I’m not in what I would call a lot of main. Discomfort is a better word, with the inability to get comfortable either sitting or laying down. Sitting upright is actually the most uncomfortable unless I sit on a soft seat such as our couch or even the front bucket seat of my wife’s Solara convertible. Having watched many of the Apollo 11 fortieth anniversary television shows this week, it puts me in mind of describing the feeling in my groin this way. Instead of feeling lighter due to one-sixth gravity, my junk feels as if it suddenly weighs six times what it did.
As I think about it though, my junk certainly does weigh more because it’s now carrying the added weight of the implant chambers, the pump, the hydraulic lines to and from, plus a certain amount of saline solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment