Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Okay, so I have ED

My particular story is probably somewhat atypical because even though my first wife and I were married for 20 years, we never achieved what I would classify as a truly satisfying sex life. That's my opinion anyway and I think she would agree. The whys and wherefores behind that don't really matter at this point, it's enough to say that we did not have intercourse very often. Even so, toward the end of our marriage it became apparent the little guy wasn't working too well. But was it a result of unhappiness over my failing marriage or was there some underlying physical cause?

The first urologist I consulted was, in fact, a perfect ass. Mind you this was pre-public awareness of ED. After a perfunctory digital check of my prostate, he proclaimed my erection problems to be mental, caused by the stress over my marriage. He begrudgingly prescribed a suppository called Muse and advised me to consult a marriage counselor. All the while he dictated into a tape recorder an overview of my condition along with his observations and diagnosis. And he did it in a voice loud enough to be heard by his female staff as well as other patients in his examining rooms. Talk about embarrassing!

The Muse urethral suppositories were easy enough to use but they never worked satisfactorily on me. Plus they had to be kept refrigerated. When my wife and I separated and I moved out of the house and into a spare bedroom at my parent's house, that in itself became an embarrassment. Hey what's that stuff in the back of the fridge behind the Lebanon Baloney? Remember, we're still taking pre ED awareness. About that time I began seeing another woman. When I decided to give the Muse another try, and went to my pharmacy to have my prescription refilled, I was told by the pharmacist that it was "out of stock." For some reason it remained unavailable for many probably months. Perfect timing.

The truth is, until I became intimate with a woman other than my wife, I didn't know for sure if perhaps the urologist had been right. I have to admit that in the back of my mind I hoped a new sex partner might be the stimulus I needed. But a romantic weekend in a hotel room overlooking the ocean made it perfectly clear that if my problem was in fact psychological, it had nothing whatsoever to do with my partner. My lady friend was quite beautiful and sexual, yet my little guy wasn't the least bit interested. I remember my friend saying to me that first night, "When were you going to tell me about this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment