Tuesday, July 14, 2009

About to Receive My Penile Implant: A promising road ahead


Tomorrow morning I report at 6 am to Same-day Surgery at the University of Maryland Medical Center. I am Doctor Andrew Kramer’s first patient, scheduled to have a 3-piece penile prosthesis installed in my penis at 7:15 am. I have a friend who said if faced with having this surgery or no intercourse for the rest of his life, he'd choose the latter. I'm a little anxious about this, but I'm going into it with a pretty reasonable understanding of what's involved. And it's not as if I haven't thought about this long and hard over the course of many years. So overall I feel it's the right decision for me at this stage of my life.

When I first met with Kramer, I mentioned having seen a video available for viewing here on the web. It shows one surgeon installing a 3-piece implant in just over 12 minutes. Kramer smiled at that and said it actually takes closer to 40 minutes if you count opening and closing.

Even at 40 minutes, that sounds pretty darn remarkable to me. What sane man wants a speed demon surgeon working on his penis and scrotum anyway? It still means that by 8:00 or so, I’ll be a changed man. And my wife and I will be on a new road, headed into a new chapter of our life together. Sure there are certain risks involved, a few negatives and limitations as well. But according to information on WebMD, 80 to 90% of men who have undergone an implant are pleased with the results. That's a pretty remarkable record if you ask me.

Plus, when it come down to it one can never clearly see or be 100% sure of what’s in store around that next bend in the road. Personally, I see bright light shining around that bend, which to me suggests happy, satisfying new times in the relationship between my wife and me. I won't even factor in the significant boost to my male self-esteem (you guys with ED know what I’m talking about).

No comments:

Post a Comment